The Global Underscore (GUS) is organized for people who are interested in the Underscore and Contact Improvisation, and who want to connect globally through dancing this practice together. If you are new to the Underscore, please read the About page, which includes the GUS Mission & Events.
Go to the 2022 GUS Site page
to find a group to dance the Underscore with. If you can’t find one, organize with people to create one and find a facilitator!
Because of COVID-19, there will be more concerns and options. Please plan ahead so the logistics do not take away from the actual dancing. Will your GUS site:
Be in-person, host your own Zoom, or both?
Join the “Catch-All” Zoom?
If in-person: Inside or Outside?
Open/Closed to others?
What safety protocols will you be following?
For GUS Sites hosting a Zoom, you will have to buy a Pro version ($14.95 USD) of Zoom for a month. The Pro version allows you to do Zoom for more than 40 minutes.
We will have a final Facilitator Packet ready and email it to you a few days before the GUS practice.
OPTIONS FOR PARTICIPATION:
One can choose 3 main options for participation in GUS from full involvement to lesser involvement—each of these 3 options has a non-synchronous version.
Please read the descriptions below to determine which of the Options for Participation best suits your community or you. Make sure you indicate which option you are doing when you register your site.
1. Full Score Practice (FSP)
- A group (it can also be a solo person) interested in the ideas, principles, and awarenesses of the Underscore and Contact Improvisation.
- Participating for the full 4 hours.
- Dancing at the designated 4-hour time.
- Everyone has had at least one 45-minute talk-through (60+ minute is preferable), and it is done before the GUS Practice.
- FSP are listed in the FACINGS.
1. a. Non-Synchronous Full Score Practice
- FSP above, but not during the designated 4-hour time.
- Non-Synchronous FSP are listed in the FACINGS.
2. Modified Score (MS)
- MS may have more of a jam format and is influenced by the Underscore.
- For example, MS could do one of the two Stands/Small Dances during the designated time and might do a Final Resolution, take some time for personal reflection, and have a circle of sharing at the end.
- MS can be 2–4 hours.
- Maybe not everyone has attended a Talk-Through.
- A simplified talk-through might happen during Assembly.
- MS are listed in the FACINGS.
2. a. Non-Synchronous Modified Score (N-S MS)
- MS above, but it is not happening during either of the designated times of the Stands/Small Dances or the event is less than 2 hours.
- N-S MS are listed in the FACINGS.
3. Satellite (SAT)
- One person who is joining the Underscore practice for a short time during the 4 designated hours.
- You might join the Stands/Small Dances, and in some way “tune-in” to sense the dancing and give your support.
- Satellites are not listed in the FACINGS, though you can face to whatever site or direction you like.
- Satellites are not listed in the Facings, though you can face whatever site or direction you like.
3. a. Non-Synchronous Satellite (N-S SAT)
- One person who is joining the Underscore practice for a short time, not during the 4 designated hours.
- You might “tune-in” to the Global Underscore in some way, do a Small Dance, and give your support.
- N-S SAT are not listed in the FACINGS, though you can face whatever site or direction you like.